Friday, January 25, 2008

I'm very blessed!

As I was driving home on Eagle road this evening I stopped at the Stinker Station to get some gas. There was a gentleman on the opposite side of the gas tank 'thingy'. I could barely see him. I heard a voice, in a very strong African accent, say, "How are you doing today?" I answered, "pretty good, how are you doing?" He said "I am so blessed!" Wow, that just amazed me. We chatted for a short time about being blessed. I told him that I was also very blessed and how I had been feeling so sorry for myself a while back that I just went and took a hot bubble bath. I went on to tell him how God made me realize how lucky and blessed I was to even be able to take a hot bath. God reminded me how many people in the world don't even have that luxery. I started counting my blessings and realized how truly blessed I am! The man then told me about how he grew up in Kenya. He said that, as a child, he could only take a bath once a week (if lucky) and, even then, the water wasn't exactly hot. He went on to say how his son sometimes will take 2 showers in one day and how it makes him think how blessed they are as he didn't get to ever do that. He was such a nice Christian man. He loved the Lord and wants everyone to know it. That's how I want my life to be. I want to live outloud! When I am asked how I am . . . I want to say . . . I AM SO BLESSED!! Not, oh, I'm okay . . . or, good I guess or even just fine. Beth Moore once said that if we own a book and have the ability to read that book we are among the richest people in the world! Wow. I really want to focus on the blessings . . . not the difficulties. Dealing with 'life' can be so exhausting and daunting. Each day I want to refocus my thoughts from the 'crap' (0ne of my favorite words - sorry) to the blessings. We have a place to live, cars to drive, heat in our home (or air conditioning in the summer), a bed, clothes, food, family, friends, jobs, healthy children!!!! I really am rich!

3 comments:

Dionna said...

So true, Shannon. I'm glad that gentleman blessed your day. :)

Angela said...

I am glad that you shared this story with me right after it happened...I can tell it did make your day. And it is so true, we are so blessed. We take it for granted too often...

Angela said...

Write another post! I am waiting for one! haha.